John Moore received a B.E. (Hons) in forestry from the University of Canterbury (1994) and a PhD in forest resources from Oregon State University (2002).
John is a senior scientist in the Forest Systems team at Scion (New Zealand Forest Research Institute). Prior to moving back to New Zealand in 2011, he was a Principal Research Fellow at Edinburgh Napier University’s Forest Products Research Institute. He held this role between 2006 and 2011.
His main research focus is on the silviculture of planted forests, with particular focus on:
- Stand dynamics and growth-growing stock relationships
- Quantification of realised genetic gain for growth and wood property traits
- Wood quality in planted forests
- Effects of forest management on the risk of wind damage
- Allometry and biomechanics of trees in planted forests
In addition to his research activities, John is also an Associate Editor for the New Zealand Journal of Forestry Science and is coordinator of IUFRO unit 5.01.08 – Understanding Wood Variability.