This paper briefly reviews the state of the art in various types of wood- and bio-based composites, summarizes recent advances, and then discusses future possibilities for improving the durability of wood- and bio-based composites.
Wood can be processed and reformed into a number of different biocomposites. We aimed at reviewing the state of the art in various types of wood- and bio-based composites. Review of utility, performance and durability of wood- and bio-based composites. The advanced biocomposites will:
- Combine wood, natural biofibers, and non-biomaterials to create synergistic hybrid materials that far exceed performance capabilities of current biocomposites;
- Be renewable, recyclable, and totally sustainable;
- Provide superior performance and serviceability exceeding performance of current biocomposites;
- Be more durable, dimensionally stable, moisture proof, and fire resistant;
- Be less expensive to produce and use (over the life cycle of use) than the materials they replace
The next generation of advanced wood- and bio-based composites must provide high-performance construction and specialty products that simultaneously promote resource and environmental sustainability and provide advanced performance, long-term performance, enhanced durability, and value.
Read the full paper
Winandy JE, Morrell JJ 2017. Improving the utility, performance, and durability of wood- and bio-based composites. Ann. For. Sci. 74: 25. 10.1007/s13595-017-0625-2.